Sunday, August 26, 2012

Handicapped Children Restrained, Confined, Abused and Murdered - A headline from today, not the 1800's.


There are some days when I read something that upsets me so deeply; I cry like a baby and I just want to go back to bed and hide under the covers until I can come out and see a better world.  Today was that day. 

Like lots of other days I jumped online to see if there is anything really pressing going on in the world involving our kids that I would want to share. What I found today was my worst nightmare, headlines of abuse and torture of our kids. I stumbled upon a website called Autism News.com  and a headline that read, "Handicapped Children Restrained, Confined, Abused and Murdered", followed by videos and stories so horrible I went and grabbed Nicky and didn't want to let him go. 

I looked at these articles and I thought,"Yes, some parents are driven to extremes. Some people are just ignorant and don't know what to do with our kids and so they make really hideous choices, then justify their actions." I also know that there are some straight up bad people in the world who should never be within 100 feet of a child. But oddly, the truly hideous people are not the ones who scare me the most, it's the people who are not evil. These are individuals in legitimate positions; police, parents, educators, therapist, aides who live normal lives and would never be considered as menaces to society. They are people who, under extreme circumstances are afraid, or are ignorant, frustrated, careless or simply neglectful, and as a result make really bad decisions.  As a community it's these people we all have to be diligent and keep our eyes open for, seeing with our hearts, not our brains, open to the truth about how every human deserves to be treated...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!

Autism News website: http://www.autismnews.com/index.html 
Video's detailing abuses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ar4JZOD98

2 comments: