Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Nicky....Nooooooo! Oops too late.

I was in Chuck Cheese and Nicky was walking in front of me. As usual he was walking fast frantically trying to find a game to play. I was rushing to keep up when I saw him spot a birthday cake. I knew what was coming next, but I couldn’t get to him in time. Nicky reached out and put his hand right in the top of the cake and grabbed a big bite! I felt every part of my body scream CRAP!!!! Then I freeze and my brain says “Okay let’s rock n roll” or in other words, take a deep breath, calm down and gracefully go grovel. Drop all offensive and defensive behavior and go apologize and remind myself that my wonderful little guy, who loves cake and knows nothing of social boundaries, just did the typical no boundary thing and hope for the best. At the same time I prepare myself for the worst; feelings of humiliation and embarrassment that go with being reprimanded as a rightfully angry mom yells “What’s wrong with your kid! Doesn’t he know any better?” while shaking a finger in my face. So I remind myself, breath Donna breath.

Then comes the amazing part. This incredible nice mom says “No Problem it’s a birthday party, would he like a piece of cake?”. She doesn’t ask a single question, she treats him and I with total kindness. I accept the piece of cake and my faith in humans is restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment