Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Just Diagnosed - What to do now? Autism Speaks offers Support

"My child was just diagnosed with Autism/ASD. What do I do now". I heard this twice today from families and I wasn't at an autism event! I somehow thought I would not hear that question so frequently, 8 years after Nicky's diagnosis. I thought there would be protocols in place and families would not need to anguish over "What Now?", "What Next?". Well, I was wrong, parents still anguish, but things are a little better. Slowly but surely they are getting better. An example that it's getting a little better is a free kit from Autism Speaks "Autism the First 100 Days". This free video gives valuable information to families who have children just diagnosed. Click on the link below for more information.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/community/family_services/100_day_kit.php

In this blog there is quite a bit of information about the early years, from intervention to school to challenges in navigating the system to get Nicky's needs met. If you are looking for something specific just put a key work in the search, if you are looking for content about what others experienced or what might happen next visit my earlier entries. If you have a specific question and you think I might be able to contribute something, please don't hesitate to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment