Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
George Bernard Shaw

I read this quote today and it hit me as such a pure and simple truth. I felt that it is what I have been doing, day in and day out. Autism surely has not been about finding myself, as much as it has been about creating a self that can rise to the occasion. A self I can be proud of.

I am not the same person I was before I had my children, I am not the same person I was before Nicky was diagnosed with Autism, I am not the same person I was before I got divorced. I have in each of these situations added something or taken something away all as part of my journey... I have been in fact creating myself.

I also thought about all the people who touch my life, and how each and every person, not just each experience, have in fact been active in creating my life. I can't imaging who I might have created without the love and support of my family and friends. That thought filled me instantly with a deep since of gratitude and appreciation.

Despite the bad days, I know that I was never lost, so I didn't need to find me. I know that my future is all about continuing to create the best me.



No comments:

Post a Comment