Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sudden Burst of Tears - Nicky's emotional burst of Empathy

Nicky will expectingly burst into hysterical crying. It happens about every 2 months. Not a whimper, but the kind of crying that sounds as if he had just broken a bone or something! I try to understand what set him off and often I walk away feeling helpless, because I can not figure out what upset him. Last night, it happened again, and I ran in the room to find him with tears running down his cheeks looking heart broken.  He was on the computer and watching "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer"  and when I said why are you crying he said "Rudolph". I asked "What happened?, What made Nicky sad?" and I pleaded for him to tell Mommy.  He cried and cried and finally said "The Misfits, I'm sad for the Misfits".   

I was sad for Nicky, but I was also proud of him. So often I don't see signs of empathy...this was a sign. He connected with the toy's who didn't fit, and he let his sadness out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment