Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sylvester Stallone, an Advocate for Special Needs Children, Loses his Son


Sylvester Stallone and John Travolta had the obvious in common, both are mega superstars with children. But they shared a more important and lesser known connection, parents to young men with autism and now both are men who suddenly and tragically lost a son.  I believe the journey of raising a special needs child makes you stronger.  The Travolta’s live a very private life and choose to not publicly talk about their son Jett’s ASD. I never had the opportunity to meet them personally, but as a parent of a son with autism, I felt a connection to them, and their loss was felt through out the autism community around the world . When Jett died I prayed their inner strength - a gift I imagined they got in part from Jett - would help them cope with their loss.

The Stallones, Sly and Sasha made a different choice; they talked openly about their son Seargeoh’s diagnosis and their experience. Their journey touched me, as they were the first celebrity family I heard tell their very personal story about having a child with autism. When my son was diagnosed, their example inspired me to be share, which in turn made me stronger.  Sylvester Stallone was an advocate for children with special needs and he wanted to help other families. In 2005 he narrated a wonderful documentary and educational video “A Child with Special Needs” produced by Rob Reiner, to help families cope with the diagnosis. When I was asked to participate in this special video I was honored, because their family helped my family. I was thrilled to have even the tiniest chance to give back.  

 

All of us who share the part of the Stallone’s journey that includes raising a child with autism, know they’re strong. I hope they know they are in the prayers of countless families and the love, compassion, strength and support they have given so generously to other parents and families during their times of unimaginable hardship is flowing back to them now, 7 X 70.  

 

Sly's Silent son. http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20090891,00.html

4 comments:

  1. I seriously love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme.

    Did you build this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my own personal blog and would love to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is named. Kudos!

    Stop by my site; online graduate certificate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few people the pain of living with a severely autistic family member. They need so much help. So much love. And this world is increasingly selfish and full of itself. And the programs that are supposed to help are dwindling. More money is spent on wortheless cr^% than on helping severely autistic people like John Travolta's and Sly Stallone's sons. We need more services and supports for autistic adults who need intensive supports both in and out of the home. No more BS

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing. gpwlaw-mi.com/new-york-mesothelioma-lawyer/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe Sylvester himself is Autistic and John Travolta. The eyes, body posture and speech give it away. Also way Stallone was creative and talks about life is typical of an Aspie.

    ReplyDelete