Are you, or do you know someone caring for a child with with autism who requires or constant supervision and support? If so, you need to know about IHSS. In Home Supportive Services is a CA service providing funds to hire a caregiver - or pay yourself is you're the caregiver and it is separate from your regional center services :).
IHSS is a program in CA. Here's a little more information. Good Luck! And please share this will families, you never know who might be in need.
IHSS – In Home Support Services
What is IHSS?
The three different IHSS programs explained…
- PCSP – Recipients are eligible because they have qualified for Medi–Cal on basis of age, blindness or disability. Most IHSS recipients are part of the PCSP program.
- IPWP – Recipients are eligible because they have qualified for Medi–Cal and are also part of one of the following groups: parent provider for a minor child, spouse providers, advance pay cases and meal allowance cases.
- IHSS–R – Recipients do not meet PCSP or IPWP requirements and usually have Satisfactory Immigration Status, which denies them federal reimbursement.
What services does IHSS provide?
- Domestic Services: meal preparation, cleaning, laundry and taking out the garbage.
- Personal Care Services/Non–Medical Care: bathing, feeding and toileting.
- Transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments.
- Protective Supervision: safeguard from injury for persons with mental impairments.
- Paramedical Tasks: assistance with medications, bowel and bladder care or catheter insertion.
Who is eligible for IHSS?
- Are SSI/SSP or Medi–Cal eligible.
- Are living in their own homes.
- Are blind, disabled or 65 years of age or older.
- Are unable to live safely at home without care.
- Meet certain financial requirements.
What are the resource limits for IHSS?
- Recipients of SSI/SSP automatically meet financial requirements.
- Recipients who meet SSI/SSP eligibility criteria except for income are eligible, but might have to pay a share of cost.
- Applicants who have more than $2,000 in nonexempt assets ($3,000 for a couple) are not eligible. Applicants can spend down assets in order to qualify; however, they should be aware of penalties/periods of ineligibility.
Who provides IHSS services?
How does IHSS calculate how many hours I get?
- The client’s physical/mental condition, living/social situation and ability to perform various functions of daily life.
- The client’s statement of need.
- Medical records/physicians’ statement of need.
- Other information the case manger may consider necessary and appropriate to assess the need.