Monday, November 4, 2013

Puberty: Boundaries & Impulse Control; From Boy to Man...Seems the Greatest Challenges Lie Ahead

Baby things are
irresistible to Nick!
"After years of therapy and programs it comes down to this for Nick; boundaries and impulse control. These are the two most important things for him to master now, or everything else community goes off the table."


I was in Costco pushing my cart through check out when Nick walked away. I looked up to see where he was, and my eyes went right to a mom clutching her baby protectively to her chest. Her frightened eyes were fixed  on Nick saying "Who are you?! Don't touch my baby!" My first instinct was to protect my baby, and give that mom a piece of my mind and perform an on the spot sensitivity training. Topped off by letting her know what a small person she was for not understanding that Nick was my baby, a vulnerable harmless kid with a disability and not the threat she was envisioning!!

Then it hit me, I know that look. It's the protective mom look we all have that isn't' conscious, it is pure instinct. Every mom's had that look. In that instant my heart and mind shifted, and it only took seconds for me to look around and piece together what was "really" happening.  Her baby was dressed as one of Nicks favorite things, Winnie the Pooh. Nick no doubt had rushed up on her cart, excited to see Pooh, and the mom didn't see a special needs kid, she saw a grown man rushing up to her baby and she was truly frightened.  I related to the frightened look on mom's face. I'd seen it before on my own face so many times. I remember how protective of my babies I was (and still am) and there's nothing rational about it. We feel a threat and we react.

Seems I've mellowed or grown up a bit, because the feeling inside me to puff up my chest and go toe to toe with the mom subsided as quickly as it flared up. Gone was my desire to make her see my point of view, have her apologize for thinking my kid was a threat, and my need to make her out to be an ignorant person who was mean to a special boy evil eye wasn't totally gone, but it was brief.  I took a deep breath and saw her side. I understood. Her reaction was perfect. The challenge, the responsibility was mine, not hers.

The transformation of my son from being a boy, to being a man is so fast I can't keep up. I don't' know about anyone else, but no matter how prepared I try to be, I'm still being caught off guard. Nick may be my baby, but in the eyes of the world, standing at 5'7" 175 lbs he is a man. And today he was a man who just ran up on a baby, and that's frightening. As much as he's my child this is not the time to be naïve and being right is not going to be very useful. No matter my personal views I have to protect him by facing the facts; no matter how special, adorable, good, kindhearted he is, he is also a man who has not yet learned boundaries and impulse control and that can get him in terrible trouble.

After years of therapy and programs it comes down to this for Nick; boundaries and impulse control. I've been talking about it for a while as I've watched Nick's progress and growth. These are the two most important things for him to master now, or everything else community goes off the table. If I knew 10 years ago how long these skills took to teach, to generalize, I would have made it a priority sooner. But, then again we've always been focusing on what seemed to be the priority at the time.

So last night I prayed.....
God help us and protect him.
Keep Nick safe in a world where he doesn't understand the rules.
Help me to be the best mom I can be.
Help me to teach him all he needs to know.
Help others to have kind hearts.
Keep him safe, please.



2 comments:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Epilepsy, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fatal Familial Insomnia ,Dupuytren's disease,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to testify about a great herbal spell caster called Dr.ezomo who
    helped me cure my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX
    VIRUS in 2015, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution,
    so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay.
    So One day I went on line on the Internet to know more clue about the
    Herpes Simplex Virus i came across a review of a lady saying that she got
    her Herpes Simplex Virus cured by A great herbal spell caster Called Dr.
    ezomo. And she also went as far to drop an email address and including Dr.
    Ezomo telephone number and advise anyone to contact Dr. ezomo for any kind
    of help. So i gave a try by contacting him . his email and explain my
    problem to him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me
    instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is
    happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got
    vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like
    HERPES, HIV, shingles, low sperm count, HPV, Cancer, Hepatitis B, etc this
    great man is extremely the best in which I have seen and applauds and if
    you also need a help in curing any kind of disease, you can also email him
    via: dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or whapps number +2349069171173
    He can also cure so many sickness

    ReplyDelete